Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My Little Secret

Okay, here I go ~ I'm a closet American Idol fan. I admit it. I love watching these kids start out and grow in their confidence and abilities throughout the season. I've watched this show since Season 1, have cheered on many of the contestants as they took on different genres of music.

This year, I'm finding that the talent is quite extraordinary.

We are down to the final four ~ Adam Lambert, Allison Iraheta, Kris Allen & Danny Gokey. These are four very talented young people. They have also had some pretty amazing mentors on this year. Last night they highlighted Slash who helped these four young people tune into classic rock.

Adam Lambert and Allison Iraheta were right at home singing respectively Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" and Janis Joplin's "Cry Baby". Good, strong performances by these two.

I could imagine either of these songs on their Cd's.

Then Kris Allen sang the Beatles "Come Together". His voice lends itself beautifully to a softer ballad sound but I think that he did a great job on this song.

Danny Gokey (my favourite) sang Aerosmith's "Dream On". He took a lot of risks with this song hitting (hammering a fingernail) notes. This song is definitely out of his comfort zone, but he nailed it.

Then there were duets, Danny & Kris and Adam & Allison. I have to give kudos to Adam and Allison who sang "Slow Ride". It was professionally presented, well choreographed and beautifully sung. It was more like watching a concert than a competition. Well done by both of them.

So now you know my dirty little secret. I love "Idol." Must be the "cheering for the underdog" in me that makes me faithfully pursue these shows. I just love to see a contestant who starts out nervous but talented turn into a polished, confident singer.

We are down to the final two weeks after the elimination round tonight.

I will continue cheering for Danny Gokey. Although Adam Lambert is an amazing performer and singer, I think Danny has the audience drinking up his understated sweetness and charm.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Well, who knew!! I like to watch it too but I must admit I enjoyed last season more. I love David Cooke! I'm hooked on Dancing with the Stars. Do you watch that one too?

Mamato2 said...

I MIGHT start watching agin if they can Paula Abdul. Seriously, the woman is stupid enough to make me ill!

Printing

Print Posts